Sunday, February 13, 2011

Quinoa Rider

A couple of years ago, I gave up eating white rice. That statement in of itself may not seem extraordinary to the average bear, but coming from - as previously mentioned - a Filipina, I might as well have said that I gave up drinking water. It all started because of genetics. Whenever I filled out paperwork for a new doctor and asked to "Please indicate if your family has a history of...", there were always many more checked boxes than not.

I'm now approaching an age when more than a few relatives have passed away unexpectedly or had to address serious health issues. I never really had to worry about watching my weight nor did I really want to start but I did decide that I was going to pay attention to what I was eating at the very least. That's how I eventually started to experiment with quinoa (keen-wah), the stuff I read about in passing a year or two ago that has become all the rage. I serve it up with different bean recipes, sauteed or stir fried veggies, soups and anything else I can think of. So far, so good! I'm diggin' on the taste and texture and I don't feel as heavy as I used to after a meal. My husband and daughter are liking it, too. (I'm still working on #1 son.) A lot of things we used to eat rice with are now riding the quinoa wave, brah. Recipes and more reports to come.

In the meantime, check out cookinquinoa.net. It's loaded with info about the health benefits, where it comes from, how to cook it, and all that jazz. I definitely recommend giving it a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment