Thursday, March 10, 2011

One Of My Favorite Recipes

My daughter (a.k.a. my Little Chef) loves to help me in the kitchen. When I started baking chocolate chip cookies on a regular basis both my kids got in the act and continue to vie for pole position at the mixer.

They both seem to genuinely enjoy cooking which is a big relief because I think that's one of the best ways to develop a healthy respect for the things you put in your body. I get a big kick out of how proud my son (a.k.a. The Beast) is after whipping up scrambled eggs for his breakfast. Every now and again my Little Chef will drop her culinary knowledge on anyone who will listen, e.g. the best way to make a grilled cheese sandwich.

I keep a marble composition notebook with recipes for road tested dishes. I use it to hand-write notes about the recipe variations I try and tidbits about who in the family likes what and any other fun tidbits. I've collected about a dozen recipes that are turning into short stories. It makes me smile every time I open it up.

Little Chef wrote one of her own recipes in the notebook for one of her favorite lunch combos, Grilled Cheese with Salami on the side. This is something I'll use in the future to remind my daughter of how cute she was before she could drive herself to the mall. She was so excited about adding something of her own I didn't have the heart to do my usual nagging about spelling. My favorite part is the "yum yum" at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment