Sunday, March 20, 2011

Say "Cheese!"



If you consider cheese a necessary evil and live in Rockland County, check out Laraia's Cheese Shop in Nanuet, NY. My husband is getting ready to rock out a couple of lasagnas, was looking for ricotta and mozzarella that was a step above Polly-O, and found this place on the web. When we first started dating he was hosting Pasta Parties annually in his apartment and always included a lasagna for both the herbivores and the omnivores with tons of extra sauce. That was a long time ago and he has wisely decided that it has been long enough. I'm planning to be his Sous Chef on this one because the last time I tried making one of these it was less a lasagna and more a pan of noodles swimming in a pool of cheesy water. (Who's hungry?)

The fact that I never noticed this place is amazing to me because it's right on the way to the Rockland Bakery (which, as I've mentioned, I frequent almost every weekend). That being said, it does sit in a weird spot - it's in close proximity to a landscaping business and right next to an automotive shop. It's odd to see the Cheese Shop's other immediate neighbors within the same coordinates - Carousel Cakes and Pancakes Plus. (Two places I've got on my radar and I'm itchin' to try.)

This mom-and-pop shop has a lot to offer from such a small space. They've got all different kinds of fresh mozzarella that they make by hand themselves, a big selection of aged cheeses, freshly made pasta and all sorts of gourmet acccoutrements. We got what we need for our family Pasta Party so we'll see if their products are as good as they look.

No comments:

Post a Comment