Sunday, March 13, 2011

Three Little Words: Blueberry-Gin Sundae


I love REAL SIMPLE. I got a subscription to the magazine a couple of years ago as a gift and get practically giddy when it arrives in my mailbox. My favorite sections are New Uses for Old Things and, of course, Food & Recipes. Last night we had good friends over for dinner and I road-tested a REAL SIMPLE 3-ingredient recipe for BLUEBERRY-GIN SUNDAES:

Servies 4| Total Time: 30m

Directions:

1. In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup blueberries and 1/3 cup gin. Simmer, stirring frequently, until the berries burst and the mixture begins to thicken, 5 to 8 minutes; let cool.

2. Divide 1 pint vanilla ice cream among bowls and top with the blueberry sauce.

By Kate Merker and Sara Quessenberry, August 2010

The sauce got good reviews from the crowd overall. The bite from the gin was a nice contrast to the ice cream and the blueberries. I'll definitely make it again but will try adding some kind of natural sweetener to bump up the sweetness of the sauce a speck. I think the addition might balance out the bite a little bit more.

Note: Last night I spooned the sauce over the ice cream before it completely cooled and it tasted fine. Today, after the sauce had been chilling overnight, I served up another batch straight out of the fridge and liked it even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment